Opportunity: Data Architect, Dauphin Island Sea Lab
– MARCH 12, 2021
The Dauphin Island Sea Lab is seeking to fill the position of Data Architect within our IT department. The Data Architect will be able to manage and oversee a robust and growing data management center. Support all departments at the MESC/Dauphin Island Sea Lab, but the primary responsibility will be working with DISL researchers for data archiving and analysis.
- Responsibilities of the Data Architect at the Dauphin Island Sea Lab (DISL) will include but are not limited to:
- Directing and leading data management at DISL while supporting aspects of the data collection and management of the DISL researchers.
- Maintain and monitor system performance with regular tests and troubleshooting as well as integrating new features and security as needed.
- Creating innovative ways to present, analyze, report, and store real-time meteorological and oceanographic data. This data will need to be presented in ways that are easily understood by a variety of end-users.
- Creating, maintaining, and publishing metadata (Specifically ISO 19139, ISO 19115-2, and ISO 19110) for DISL datasets.
The position is full-time (non-exempt) and includes benefits. Salary is commensurate with experience.
DISL is an EOE/AA/M/F/D employer. A background check, as well as a pre-employment drug test, may be required. Participation in DISL’s ongoing drug-testing program is required.
Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree from an accredited college/university in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related and up to 2 years professional programming and data management experience, OR 2-year technical degree with 5 years of current professional programming experience, OR more than 5 years of current professional programming experience.
- Must have experience in web development and working in cloud computing.
- Expert in SQL and good with data modeling for relational, analytical, and big data workloads. (MS SQL, MySql, and PostgreSQL)
- Be comfortable with different database administration tools, including but not limited to MySQL Admin and MSSQL Management Studio
- Must be comfortable and knowledgeable working in a Windows and Unix/Linux server environment
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Including a proactive disposition toward identifying problems and providing solutions.
- Must be able to work well within a skilled team or independently.
Preference Given Skills
- Experience creating and deploying apps for Android and iOS.
- Knowledge of (or ability to quickly learn) analytical measurements and measurement taking, and the use of R (r-project.org).
- Experience with working in the grant-funding environment.
Please email completed job application and CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also mail in completed job applications and CV to:
HR – Data Architect
101 Bienville Blvd
Dauphin Island, AL 36528