RFP-II – Closed
The purpose of RFP-II is to select proposals from individual investigators or collaborative efforts involving a principal investigator (PI) and up to three co-principal investigators (co-PIs) from no more than three additional institutions. RFP-II will fund activities for 1 to 3 years. The total funds available for distribution through RFP-II will be up to $7.5 million per year for up to 3 years; and funding for each approved proposal is expected to be between $100,000 (minimum) and $1 million (maximum) per year.
The major research themes to be addressed in RFP-II are:
- Physical distribution, dispersion, and dilution of petroleum (oil and gas), its constituents, and associated contaminants (e.g., dispersants) under the action of physical oceanographic processes, air–sea interactions, and tropical storms.
- Chemical evolution and biological degradation of the petroleum/dispersant systems and subsequent interaction with coastal, open-ocean, and deep-water ecosystems.
- Environmental effects of the petroleum/dispersant system on the sea floor, water column, coastal waters, beach sediments, wetlands, marshes, and organisms; and the science of ecosystem recovery.
- Technology developments for improved response, mitigation, detection, characterization, and remediation associated with oil spills and gas releases.
- Impact of oil spills on public health.
Each proposal is expected to develop and enunciate a clear plan to address a single theme. The plan should clearly describe how the proposed research would serve to accomplish the long-term goals of the GoMRI.
The grantees will be chosen through a competitive peer review of the proposals submitted in response to this RFP-II. The peer-review process, selection of funded proposals, and continuation annual funding will be carried out under the direction of the GoMRI Research Board.
Click here to view the RFP-II. (Adobe PDF)
17 January, 2012- LOI from each prospective PI due
8 March, 2012- Proposals in response to RFP-II due
10 August, 2012- Announcement of projects funded in response to RFP-II