RFP-IV – Closed
Update (11/14/14): The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Research Board has selected 12 research consortia to conduct scientific studies of the impacts of oil, dispersed oil, and dispersant on the Gulf of Mexico ecosystem and public health. To learn more, click here.
Update (9/8/14): The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Research Board received 47 full proposals for the 2015 – 2017 Research Consortia solicitation. Peer review has been completed; final analysis and selection will be made by the GoMRI Research Board and will be announced on November 14, 2014.
Update (1/26/14): The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative Research Board received 72 preliminary proposals for the 2015 – 2017 Research Consortia solicitation. Lead institutions from 12 states (AL, AZ, FL, GA, LA, MA, MN, MS, NJ, NY, TN, and TX) offered a strong mix of all 5 GoMRI Research Themes. Pre-proposal peer review is currently underway. Applicants will receive feedback by March 17, 2014. RFP-IV full proposals are due June 2, 2014.
The purpose of the 2015-2017 GoMRI Research Consortia RFP is to select the research activities for GoMRI Years 5–7 (1 January 2015–31 December 2017) involving Research Consortia, defined as a contractual arrangement between a PI and co-PIs at four or more institutions.The total funds available for distribution to Research Consortia through the 2015-2017 GoMRI Research Consortia RFP will be approximately $35 million per year.
The major research themes to be addressed in RFP-IV are:
- Physical distribution, dispersion, and dilution of petroleum (oil and gas), its constituents, and associated contaminants (e.g., dispersants) under the action of physical oceanographic processes, air–sea interactions, and tropical storms.
- Chemical evolution and biological degradation of the petroleum/dispersant systems and subsequent interaction with coastal, open-ocean, and deep-water ecosystems.
- Environmental effects of the petroleum/dispersant system on the sea floor, water column, coastal waters, beach sediments, wetlands, marshes, and organisms; and the science of ecosystem recovery.
- Technology developments for improved response, mitigation, detection, characterization, and remediation associated with oil spills and gas releases.
- Impact of oil spills on public health including behavioral, socioeconomic, environmental risk assessment, community capacity and other population health considerations and issues.
Each Research Consortium proposal is expected to develop and enunciate a clear plan to address any one of these themes or a cross-disciplinary program of work involving a grouping of some of these themes.
- April 1, 2013 – Save the date announcement
- November 15, 2013 – RFP-IV release
- January 15, 2014 – Pre-proposal deadline
- January 16–March 17, 2014 – Pre-proposal review and feedback
- June 2, 2014 – Full proposal deadline
- November 14, 2014 – Award announcement
- January 1, 2015 – Award start date
The Research Consortia will be chosen through a competitive peer review of the proposals submitted in response to this RFP. The peer-review process and selection of funded Research Consortia will be carried out under the direction of the GoMRI Research Board.