Attention Oil Spill Researchers! Special Invitation to Participate in IOSC 2020
– MARCH 21, 2019
The Research Board for the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) is encouraging its science community to submit abstracts for the 2020 International Oil Spill Conference (IOSC) by May 15, 2019.
There are discounted registration rates for academia, students, and government participants. Opportunities for needs-based scholarships may be available to support those whose attendance would enhance the body of knowledge for the oil spill science user community. There will also be a photo and film-festival contest and technical demonstration during the conference. In addition to participating in the regular sessions, be sure to attend the special session featuring the GoMRI syntheses efforts!
Regarding presentations, Chuck Wilson, the GoMRI Chief Scientist, noted that there are subtle differences in what is desired at IOSC compared to typical science conferences, and those differences relate to the audience. IOSC presentations need to focus on the oil spill preparedness, response, and restoration community.
The IOSC provides a vital forum for professionals from the international spill response community, private sector, government, and non-governmental organizations to address challenges with sound science, practical innovation, social engineering, global research, and imagination.
Here’s a recap of what you need to know:
- Submit your abstract by May 15, 2019 at https://iosc2020.org/participate/call-for-papers-and-posters.
- Author instructions are available at https://ioscproceedings.org/page/authors.
- Develop presentations for the oil spill science user community, not the traditional science community.
- Register for the IOSC, which will be open soon, at https://iosc2020.org/conference/registration.
- Apply for needs-based scholarships during the abstract submission process. More information about scholarships will be available soon at https://iosc2020.org/scholarships.
- Submit films or photographs that relate to entry categories. More information about the contest will be available soon at https://iosc2020.org/participate/activities.
- The IOSC will be held May 11-14, 2020 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Access the IOSC website at https://iosc2020.org/.
Each IOSC since 1969 has published a printed Proceedings that contains the peer-reviewed papers presented in each conference. All of these are available digitally at https://ioscproceedings.org/loi/iosc.
The Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) is a 10-year independent research program established to study the effect, and the potential associated impact, of hydrocarbon releases on the environment and public health, as well as to develop improved spill mitigation, oil detection, characterization and remediation technologies. An independent and academic 20-member Research Board makes the funding and research direction decisions to ensure the intellectual quality, effectiveness and academic independence of the GoMRI research. All research data, findings and publications will be made publicly available. The program was established through a $500 million financial commitment from BP. For more information, visit https://gulfresearchinitiative.org/.
© Copyright 2010-2019 Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) – All Rights Reserved. Redistribution is encouraged with acknowledgement to the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). Please credit images and/or videos as done in each article. Questions? Contact web-content editor Nilde “Maggie” Dannreuther, Northern Gulf Institute, Mississippi State University (email@example.com).