Opportunity: Education and Public Outreach Program Coordinator, ECOGIG-2
– February 11, 2015
The “Ecosystem Impacts of Oil and Gas Inputs to the Gulf” (ECOGIG-2) research consortium invites applications for an education and outreach professional to serve as the program’s Education and Public Outreach Program Coordinator.
The ECOGIG-2 program is funded by the Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI). The program conducts multi-scale, multi-disciplinary research to study the impacts and fates of oil and gas released in offshore waters of the Gulf of Mexico (hereafter, Gulf). With more than 20,000 natural hydrocarbon seeps, the Northern Gulf hosts complex and fascinating ecosystems that are intimately tied to oil and gas seepage. The ECOGIG-2 team’s work will improve our ability to understand, quantify and predict the large and small-scale processes that distribute and degrade hydrocarbons throughout the Northern Gulf, from the deep seafloor to the ocean surface. ECOGIG-2 scientists will work at scales ranging from molecules to ecosystems, and from point source inputs to the entire Gulf system.
A major focus of the ECOGIG-2 program involves education and public outreach (EPO). A cornerstone of the GoMRI legacy is to create a public that is knowledgeable of general oceanographic processes and supportive of stewardship activities that promote healthy ecosystems, responsible use of ocean resources, and increased environmental literacy. ECOGIG-2’s EPO program aims to engage, inspire, and educate K-12 students, undergraduate students, and the general public. Our comprehensive EPO strategy includes expanding successful EPO programs and activities piloted during ECOGIG, developing new initiatives, and launching Signature Events that are designed and implemented for maximum impact.
The program’s EPO Coordinator will work closely with EPO Assistant (TBN) and the Project Director (PD), Dr. Samantha Joye, to fulfill ECOGIG-2 EPO objectives.
Scessful candidates must be interdisciplinary, self-motivated, efficient and effective at both verbal and written communication, and interested in pursuing innovative research and education in a highly dynamic environment. Applicants must have a Ph.D. in related field or equivalent combination of master’s degree plus 5 years of experience in the education and public outreach arena.
The selective individual will have:
- Extensive experience with website design and maintenance, specifically experience with DRUPAL (or documented ability to master such skills quickly.)
- Experience designing and implementing general public outreach and educational (K-12) materials.
- Strong training in basic science; preference will be given to candidates with backgrounds in oceanography.
- The ability able to direct and lead project-level (30+ PIs) outreach and education programs.
- The ability to develop web site content.
- The ability to work independently as well as collaborate with project administrative staff, students and PIs to develop outreach projects and website content.
- Exceptional writing and communication skills.
- Experience making professional quality (“YouTube”) videos (in collaboration with science journalism students).
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact ECOGIG-2 PD, Dr. Mandy Joye at firstname.lastname@example.org.