Opportunity: Postdoctoral Research Associate Position, UGA
– APRIL 13, 2016
The Department of Marine Sciences at the University of Georgia (http://marsci.uga.edu) is seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in a new Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative-funded study of the vertical upwelling of a hydrocarbon plume together with bottom boundary layer dispersal for a natural seep site.
Applicants should have a PhD in Physical Oceanography with strong computational skills; some knowledge of acoustic scattering theory is preferred. The research project will be varied and will focus on understanding the fluid dynamics and acoustic scattering of hydrocarbon plumes (methane/gas bubbles) from natural seeps in the Gulf of Mexico. This appointment is for one year with a start date as early as June 1, 2016. The possibility of renewal of this Gulf of Mexico Research Initiative (GoMRI) grant funded position for subsequent years (up to 2 years) will depend on progress and the needs of the project.
Some of the research duties will consist of
- Developing appropriate acoustic scattering models for wave propagation through a turbulent medium caused by buoyant hydrocarbon plumes
- Assisting with field measurements and analysis of data acquired for vertical upwelling flows of hydrocarbon plumes and turbulent bottom boundary layer flows.
- Communicating regularly and in a timely fashion with project PIs regarding research and other issues relevant to the operation of the project
- Attending regular international and annual meetings for the project
- Publishing and disseminating significant results in top tier journals.
This is an exciting research project and we seek an individual with tremendous effort, creativity, and leadership to fulfill its aims. The University of Georgia has an active postdoctoral program that emphasizes scholarship and continued research training for individuals (http://research.uga.edu/opa/).
To submit an application, please send a CV with contact information for 3 references and a letter of research interest and qualifications to Daniela Di Iorio (email@example.com). Feel free to email with any questions.